Access to health records

How to request access to records

Making a request for your own health records 

We will need: 

  • your name 
  • a copy of photographic identification such as a driving license or passport 
  • proof of address such as a utility bill 

This is so that we can be sure that the person requesting records is the data subject. 

Making a request for access to records for a child for whom you have parental responsibility 

If you have parental responsibility for a child, you have a statutory right to apply for access to your child's health records.  

So that we can establish parental responsibility we may need you to show us the child’s birth certificate, or a certified copy of this.  

If the child is of an age capable of giving consent, he or she must give consent.  

As stated above, we would prefer this request to be in writing. 

Making a request on behalf of another adult 

If you are making a request for access to records on behalf of another adult, we will need: 

  • the name of the person whose records you are requesting 
  • a copy of their photographic identification 
  • their signed consent for you to act on their behalf. If the person lacks capacity to provide their consent, you will need to provide a copy of Power of Attorney for Health and Wellbeing 
  • a copy identification of your photographic identification. 

You can send this information: 

  • By email to 
  • By post to Access to Health Record, Charter House Parkway, Welwyn Garden City AL8 6JL. 

When you can expect to hear from us 

Once we have received proof of your identification and consent (where necessary) we will respond within one calendar month, providing the requested information. 

Very occasionally we may not be able to provide the information you are requesting within this time frame. If this is the case we will let you know. If you are requesting information for someone else, we will keep them informed too.  

Receiving the information 

When the information is ready, we will contact you to discuss the most appropriate way to send it to you. 

This can be electronically via email, by special delivery or you can collect it in person.